Saturday, August 31, 2013

Constructing a Plot- or How I Wrote Constructing Marcus Without Driving Myself Insane


Constructing a Plot- or How I Wrote Constructing Marcus Without Driving Myself Insane By Danielle DeVor I am your all around, creepy places sort of girl. If you want someone to run to old cemeteries in New England for gravestone rubbings, I’m the girl for you. I am not your usual romanticy sort of woman who loves movies that make me cry and mushy love songs. Which is why writing a book that had romantic elements was a challenge for me. I do read some romance- usually paranormal romance with sexy vampires. *fans self* But, I mostly find myself drawn toward writing straight fantasy or horror-esque stories. My mother, who happens to be a huge romance reader, asked me one day why I hadn’t tried writing something kind of romantic. I didn’t really have an answer except my brain doesn’t usually drift in that direction. So, since the challenge was now presented, I wanted to try to write a romantic story- but on my terms. If you’ve read my other book with Eirelander Publishing, Tail of the Devil, you’ll know what I’m talking about. My stories have a lot of grit, violence, and the occasional gross-out. But, since this story was to have some romance, I knew that a lot of the usual things I interject weren’t going to work this time and had to happen off-screen. I had to scale myself back. No scenes of torture. No scenes of violent death. This story had to be lighter. It had to make the romance between Emma and Marcus a plot point. I did slip in a little grossness, I’ll admit. But, heck, a girl like me couldn’t resist. I suppose what I’m trying to say is that it is good to challenge yourself once in awhile. I stepped out of my comfort zone with this one and I think it worked. http://danielledevor.wordpress.com

1 comment:

  1. If you are skilled with sewing, you could sew on a special pocket for the ball so it would be removable for washing. play bazaar satta king Another option is to pierce the ball with string and hang it on your back.

    ReplyDelete